I wasn’t going to start any new armies for a while, I have a painting queue that stretches beyond the three that I already have, but I had so much fun painting this guy that I might just pick up a few more Nurgle marines (either Plague Marines or just general Chaos Space Marines) and build up the Brotherhood of the Mushroom a little.
The model itself is an old plastic one from the mid 90’s that I inherited from my little brother’s teenage collection (hence the missing top to his head). What I was planning to do was do a test model for an idea on an alternative painting scheme for Nurglings, however, it didn’t come out as expected, largely I think because Rakarth Flesh is too yellow for my purposes. Still, I liked the rather mouldy looking effect and so I decided to work with it instead of starting again.
Unusually for me, this model used only a few colours:
Scorpion Green (now: Moot Green)
Tin Bitz (now: Warplock Bronze)
Dwarf Bronze (now: Hashut Copper)
(OK, 15 paints is rather large for “a few” but it’s relative alright)
I started with a base layer of Rakarth Flesh on the armour, Tin Bitz on all the metal bits, Rinox Hide on the wooden bits and Waywatcher Green on the eyes and in the holes in the armour.
I then washed it with a 2:1 mix of Biel-Tan Green to Drakenhof Nightshade (I’ve just realised that there is an intermediary Shade called Coelia Greenshade that would be better than mixing two shades, so I’ll try it next time and see).
Next I used another layer of Rakarth flesh before glazing the model with Guilliman Blue.
Then I highlighted the model with more Rakarth Flesh in a streaky pattern and glazed it with Waywatcher Green.
I highlighted it once more with Rakarth Flesh and used a touch of White Scar on the extreme highlights.
I highlighted the metal either with Dwarf Bronze or with a 1:1 mix of Tin Bitz and Leadbelcher, the wood with Balor Brown and the Waywatcher Green bits first with more Waywatcher Green and then with a touch of Scorpion Green.
Finally I added a little Nihilakh Oxide and Nurgle’s Rot to the model along with the shoulder pad markings (ok, I lied about it being only 15 colours).
As it is the Brotherhood of the Mushroom, I gave my Plague Marine a famously fungus-y name: Brother Agaric. Now I have to stop myself building more brothers for him, a sorcerer called Psylocybin, maybe, or a marine covered in bracket fungi… Anyhow. I actually have more posts to write (shocking, I know!). Until then!