Raagh! (Or a Shining Spear Exarch)

shining exarch FL

This guy took me a lot longer than I had hoped, partly because I went a bit overboard with the conversion. I won the Dark Elf War Hydra tail in a painting contest at my local GW a few months back. The prize was three bits from the box and as soon as I saw the tail I knew what I wanted to do with it. It took a fair bit of effort to get it to fit on a Cold One model and I didn’t entirely succeed but it makes for a larger (much larger) and more powerful looking mount for what (unless he gets a promotion) is currently my Shining Spears Exarch for my dinosaur riding Exodites. I had to extend the neck of the Cold One with some green stuff in order to balance the model. The rider himself has Dark Elf Cold One Knight’s legs (I broke the Shining Spears ones), a Shining Spear torso and sword arm, a Dark Eldar Hellion head and an Eldar Guardian left arm.

shining exarch neck tail

The feathered cloak is green stuff and was built by using a sharp modelling tool to rip and cut into soft green stuff to make a feathering effect layer by layer from the outside in on top of the basic cloak base. Sorry for the quality of the photos of the unpainted model. I obviously can’t go back and take better ones and I didn’t realise just how bad they were at the time!

shining exarch green stuff

I used the same paint scheme as for my other Shining Spear so I won’t go over it again. For the cloak I started with Kantor Blue, washing with Drakenhof Nightshade and highlighting with Macragge Blue, Hawk Turquoise (Sotek Green), Ice Blue (Lothern Blue), Space Wolves Grey (Fenrisian Grey) and Skull White (White Scar).

shining exarch side

shining exarch BR

I based the model using a piece of cardboard tube from a roll of clingfilm for the skeleton of my tree chunk with a crushed cinnamon stick as bark. I used Middenland Tufts for the longgrass and liberal amounts of Lustrian Undergrowth and Agrellan Earth to add texture. The spider came from the Deathworld’s basing kit. I love the new Nurgle’s Rot paint and I used a fair bit to add slime to the model, particularly as my water effects stuff has dried up.

shining exarch FR

shining exarch F

Anyhow, that’s one more model done for my Exodites. I’m going to paint a few marines next I think for a change of pace!

L.o.F.

Bolter Time

My wrist is still bad which means that I haven’t been able to do much hobbying recently. I built a Space Marine the other day and instantly regretted it. I was planning on putting together the start of a codex Space Marine killteam based on the Marines Malevolent but if cutting and gluing sprues is enough to muck up my wrist, I can’t do all the conversion work I was planning with these guys. I did get a couple of bolter conversions done. I need to splurge out on some Forgeworld bits but part of me objects to buying MORE bolters when I have bags of them already. I made the box mag boltgun by cutting off the magazine from a Space Wolves Terminator Storm Bolter (I have more than enough of those) and replacing the sickle shaped magazine with it. I still need to drill out the barrel but I’m waiting until I can reliably do it and still be able to paint afterwards!

box mag

One thing with Marines Malevolent is that due to their piratical and impoverished nature, I can use all my castoff bits from other projects. I’ve got a few old style backpacks that I’m going to use and I can raid bits from the Space Wolves and Ravenwing sprues that I have. It’s a small scale project but one which I hope will be a change of pace to my Eldar and Wolves.