I mentioned recently that I had a box of Blood Angels to strip and repaint for my boyfriend. There’s a nice mixture of troops and HQs and a few other odds and ends. Any sensible hobbyist would start by painting a squad or two of Tactical Marines. Not me! I dived into the box and grabbed Mephiston. I then spent the last few weeks pottering about, painting a bit of cloak here or a few skulls there. However, he’s all finished now, bar his base, which I’ll paint up as soon as I’ve a few more guys ready, so I thought I’d post him here.
He’s an old metal model (circa 1995) and the paint does tend to chip in places, so I’ll have to varnish him some time. For the body I used Wazdakka Red over a Mechrite Red undercoat. After washing it first with Baal Red (Carroburg Crimson) and then with Nuln oil, I highlighted it using: 1) 1:1 Wazdakka Red to Blood Red (Evil Sunz Scarlet), 2) Blood Red, 3) 1:1 Blood Red to Troll Slayer Orange, 4) Trollslayer Orange.
For the coat I started with Abaddon Black followed by highlighting using: 1) a 1:1 mix of Abaddon Black to Xereus Purple, 2) Xereus Purple and 3) Emperor’s Children, before adding the freehand work. I then washed it with Nuln oil before touching up the highlights and freehand. The bone and feathery areas were painted as usual with Bleached Bone (Ushbati Bone), a wash of Gryphonne Sepia (Seraphim Sepia) before being highlighted with more Bleached Bone and a touch of White Scar.
I went with blue as a spot colour as I felt that it looked better than green for the sword and plasma pistol. I started with Kantor Blue and then highlighted using: 1) Macragge Blue, 2) Altioc blue, 3) Lothern Blue, 4) Fenrisian Grey and 5) White Scar. For the sword blade I started with a layer of Boltgun metal (Leadbelcher) before washing with Nuln Oil and highlighting with 1) Boltgun metal, 2) Chainmail (Ironbreaker) and 3) Mithril Silver (Runefang Steel). I then applied a Guilliman Blue Glaze. For the lightning bolts I used Ice Blue (Lothern Blue), Space Wolves Grey (Fenrisian Grey) and Skull White (White Scar). For the muzzle of the plasma pistol I first painted, washed and highlighted it in the same way as I did the sword, but then I applied a Lamenters Yellow Glaze and a coat of Gryphonne Sepia (Seraphim Sepia) to try to make it look as if the metal had got pretty hot.
So, there you go. I’m back onto painting Space Wolves now (or will be when I get over my latest cold).